Monday, July 27, 2009

Ghetto Grips; Not Pretty, but Comfortable

Having mentioned these grips in my previous post I thought I a least owed you a couple pictures of my experimental "Ghetto Grips" for my Dan Wesson .357mag. Well, here you go.
I took the factory rubber finger groove grips from my Charter Arms Undercover .38spl and mated them to the grip of the Dan Wesson using Kneadatite Epoxy Modeling Putty (Green Stuff) as the filler. I modeled the backstrap similar to how Trausch grips are for the Ruger SP101.They have held up and feel really good in the hand. I was always bothered with how cheesy they looked though so that is why they were replaced with the very pretty custom shaped wood grips.

2 comments:

jred said...

Does the putty cure hard or "rubbery"? It seems like you could make a grip that fits your hand perfectly by grabbing it before it cures.

Eric said...

The putty cures rubbery which is why I choose this particular kind. You could make a whole grip using it, but it is a bit on the heavy side. Green stuff has a fairly long 20 min cure time when you can mold it so I could see how it would be easy to do. You'd have to make some kind of sleeve to go over the DW grip that would house the grip screw so you could fasten it. My only concern would be the long term durability of the putty. It's originally just for model making and it seems to be a little sensitive to solvents so I don't know how long it would hold up.